Wednesday 4 February 2009

BUAFL Predict-o-matic's Week 10 Predictions

The Predict-o-matic only churned out 1 false prediction for last weekends action! Lets see what it thinks about week 10:

South

Reading Knights (3-2) - Birmingham Lions (5-0)

With the Lions already in the playoffs, and Reading fighting for the opportunity. I can see this being closer than most people will think. Though I doubt the Lions will let up. The Knights armour is made of paper in this bout and will be torn to pieces.

Tarannau Aberystwyth (0-4) - BNU Buccaneers (1-4)

Well who would have though the virgins of the league would overturn Oxford? Well I did, because I am the Predict-o-matic, the brains of 6 college head coaches (minus the egos). I am going to go with BNU moving to 2-4 this weekend. Mainly because Aber seem to have gone downhill this year and the rebuilding process has been a tough mistress. BNU on a high, can they go higher? I think so but not by much.

UEA Pirates (4-2) - Royal Holloway Bears (0-6)

Not much to say about this one apart from, some toothless, clawless bear getting hijacked and pillaged by the UEA pirates. UEA still in the playoff hunt at 4-2 and I expect them to notch their 5th win here. RHB need to try and tighten up that defence as they are in the running with BNU, Bristol, ARU & Napier for the defensive wooden spoon.

Oxford Cavaliers (1-4) - Plymouth Blitz (4-2)

Oxford’s offence seemed to be poor this year with the defence keeping them in games. But against Bath last week it appears their defence has also given up the ghost. With Plymouth in the hunt for playoffs expect this to be another win for the pasty eating Blitz. I can see serious changes happening at the end of the year at Oxford, and no matter what spin you put on it, they aren’t good.

Cardiff Cobras (4-1) - Warwick Wolves (1-4)

A half decent Cobras team is not going to take it easy on the Wolves before their big clash with the Blitz next week. Expect them to be tuning the finer points of their play in this one sided matchup. The Wolves on the other hand looked poor all throughout the season and in their 6-0 win over Oxford they seemed to have saved an 0-8 season. They will be fighting for an upset in this one but it will be in vain.

Kent Falcons (1-3) - Hertfordshire Hurricanes (4-1)

Coach Messenger will have given the Herts boys a serious dressing down after their tightly fought game against Southampton last week, which by all accounts was some hard football. The big green machine just wasn’t switched on last week and I expect it to kick back into action against Kent. I hope the Falcons don’t bring their families to this game. It’s never nice to cry in front of your parents.

Brighton Tsunami (4-1) - Greenwich Mariners (2-2)

Another game I’d like to see; 2 half decent outfits crashing about looking for a playoff spot. The Tsunami come off of a tight one last week and I am unsure about their offence now. Greenwich haven’t been doing too great this year and I think the Brighton O vs Greenwich D will decide this match. I’m going with Brighton again as they came through for me last week.

UWE Bullets (4-1) - Bristol Barracuda (2-4)

The Bristol bowl, which surprisingly hasn’t been hyped so much by Phil Fear. Is it because they are worried it might be a rout? I wouldn’t be so worried, after an impressive 54-8 win against Tarannau last week I expect them to bring it to the boys from UWE. The Bullets on the other hand will keep their little brother at bay for another season and keep the varsity trophy nice and polished in the display case.

Southampton Stags (4-1) - Surrey Stingers (2-3)

Out of respect for the Stingers, I’m going to cool off calling this one. I just hope they play with pride and hit hard.

North

UT Cougars (4-1) - Sunderland Spartans (1-3)

UT are fighting with Durham for the 2nd spot in that playoffs from that division and expect them to take no mercy in this tie against the Spartans. Though I think it will be closer than the records suggest. UT had a great start to the year and have stuttered since then. Though with the playoffs on the line I don’t think the Spartans will spoil the party.

Loughborough Aces (3-1) - Leicester Longhorns (0-4)

The Aces will be looking to put themselves firmly in playoff spot 2 with a win this week. Leicester hope to get something from this season as they currently sit 0-4 with not many points on the board. I hope they do get something from this season as they have been around a long time now, but I can’t see it happening against the Aces.

Lancaster Bombers (1-3) - Sheffield Sabres (3-1)

The Sabres were nearly extinct last week in the Steel Bowl. They really messed with my circuits by ruining my perfect week! Only 1 wrong, and it’s because I went with the U over the PT. I am going to put my trust in them against this week and go for a Sabres win. Lancaster on the other hand are looking like a bunch of failed shoe bombers this season. I can’t see it getting much better and expect them to go 1-4.

Hallam Warriors (4-1) - UCH Sharks (1-3)

Well strike me down. Hallam shocked me last week by beating the Sabres, and as much as it pains me to say……… I’m going with another Hallam win. Hull really are playing like their town: slightly dilapidated and unwatchable. I’ve visited my cousin (a cassette player) down there 2 times and that’s 2 times too many. I expect Hallam to keep the good vibes going in this one.

Liverpool Fury (0-3) - Huddersfield Hawks (2-2)

Liverpool are having a tough time of it this season. Though they are 0-3, Brad and his coaching staff have done well defensively. They just need to get the offence firing, though I don’t think this is the game for it. I expect Hudds to continue their much improved season by gaining a 3rd win.

Nottingham Outlaws (3-3) - Lincoln Colonials (2-2)

After their promising show (score line wise) against the Stokies, I can see the Outlaws grasping for their very slim chance of playoff football. Both teams are .500, but I think the experience of the Outlaws will rob the Colonials of a victory.

Leeds Celtics (2-1) - Staffordshire Stallions (4-0)

Clash of the titans here and I don’t mean Swansea. I know Leeds are 2-1 at the moment and Staffs are 4-0 but as somebody who has followed football for a while, I can see this being a good scrap. If I wasn’t out at a boot sale this Sunday I would go see this match. If the Celtics can shut down the Staffs running machines that they just keep churning out I can see it swinging the Celtics way. But let’s face it the Predict-o-matic is just playing devils advocate.

Northumbria Mustangs (0-4) - Napier Mavericks (2-4)

No offence to the guys involved but this is like choosing between a motorcycle ashtray and a sky hook. The match will be a ground out affair with not much at stake except a bit of pride. I can’t see Northumbria’s season getting much better. I hope it does for their sake but I’m going with a Scottish V here.

Glasgow Tigers (1-3) - Stirling Clansmen (2-4)

Again 2 team who used to be football powerhouses both with CB appearances this decade. Though they are more like the toothless tiger you see in Chinese zoos once their fighting days are over. After their performance against Newcastle, Glasgow will be on a high of sorts. They have also performed better against neutral opponents.

2 comments:

neilm said...

Not being an idiot, but UEA are 4-2, having lost to Herts and Soton. Just an FYI

BUAFL Blogger said...

My mistake!

Cheers,

Blogger